150th Anniversary of Zumbro Lutheran Church
On March 9, 1865, 35 people gathered to formally organize the Rochester Evangelical Lutheran Congregation. These pioneers from Norway brought with them the belief in a better life that included preserving their language, their culture, and their Lutheran faith. One hundred and fifty years later, we are privileged to celebrate that heritage and embrace a vision for the future.
The theme for the year is “We Follow in Faith What’s Begun!”
The hymn for the year is Build Us Up, Lord.
See you there!
- Friday, Oct. 23, 7pm, Celebration Music Festival
- Saturday, Oct. 24, Celebration Dinner (a dinner and program to include former pastors)
- Sunday, Oct. 25, Celebration Sunday Worship
- Sunday, Dec. 20, Festival of Lessons and Carols
Following in Faith Campaign
This summer we launched a mobile food ministry called Open Table. This is a joint venture with People of Hope Lutheran Church. As we celebrate 150 years as a congregation in Rochester, we hope to purchase a food truck so that this ministry can continue to grow and serve our community. Our goal is to raise $95,000. About $10,000 is needed to cover some of our anniversary expenses, but the rest of the funds raised will go directly to Open Table. Campaign details can be found in this letter that was sent earlier this month. Stop by the table in the narthex on Sunday or contact Pastor Lisa Kipp to learn more about this ministry and/or to get involved as a volunteer. Click here to donate (please indicate "Following in Faith" in the optional memo).
Gifts to the Congregation:
- 2015 photo directory
- Anniversary liturgy written by Zumbro member Bob Giere
- Interviews with a cross-section of the congregation
- Organization of Zumbro archives
- A commissioned anthem written by Northfield, MN composer Daniel Kallman for Celebration Sunday, Oct. 25
Items for Sale:
These items will be for sale between Sundays worship services (9:45-10:45am) on the first and third Sundays of the month. Contact the church office to purchase these items any other time.
- Commemorative bookmark ($10)
- "Heart and Soul" Quilt raffle ($1/ticket)
- Taste of Zumbro cookbook ($20)
- New CD recording featuring “the best of” Zumbro’s music program and liturgies used in worship ($10 donation)