Bible 101: No Experience Necessary
Once or twice a year Pastor Vern teaches a Bible 101 class. This is a chance to learn some basics of the Bible: historical timelines, important characters, and pivotal passages. This class is intended for those who know little or nothing about the Bible, and would like some help in getting started. Before the class is over, you will have a great understanding of the biblical world. You will also set up a reading plan to guide you as you dig deeper into the book.
Bible 201: Exploring Further
Once or twice a year Pastor Vern teaches a Bible 201 class. This is a chance to be introduced to ten key themes of the Bible. You will learn how the Bible was formed, how the Bible has authority in our lives, and what it means that the Bible is inspired. You will also learn why we take some passages of Scripture more literally than others. This class is intended for those who have some basic Bible background or have taken Bible 101. You will be encouraged to set up or further develop your plan for reading the Bible.
Session 1 Video is Available to View Online
The topics of this first session included key people, events, and dates of the Bible, and an overview of the geography of the areas most mentioned in the Bible. This first class also starts a discussion on how to read the Bible as a more progressive Lutheran.
- Part 1 - 12min. 16 sec.
- Part 2 - 11 min. 35 sec.
- Part 3 - 14 min. 58 sec.
- Part 4 - 11 min. 57 sec.
- Part 5 - 12 min. 01 sec.
Session 2 Video is Available to View Online
The second session covers 5 of 10 themes of the Bible:
- God has a plan to bless and save the world.
- God invites us to be part of his plan.
- God's plan gets messed up by human sin...yet God keeps calling us back to him.
- God's plan is carried out by ordinary people like us...and sometimes in spite of us.
- God shows his love for the world most clearly in Jesus.
The second session also includes slides from a visit to the Holy Land.
- Part 1 - 13 min. 45 sec.
- Part 2 - 14 min. 56 sec.
- Part 3 - 9 min. 58 sec.
- Part 4 - 8 min. 12 sec.
- Part 5 - 14 min. 51 sec.
Session 3 Video is Available to View Online
The third session covers the remaining 5 of 10 themes of the Bible:
- God calls us to be in partnership with other Christians.
- God invites us to be part of the mission of love.
- God invites us to be part of the mission of justice.
- God sends us out to make disciples.
- We look forward in hope to the day when God will make a new heaven and a new earth.
The third session also discusses who decided which books belong in the Bible.
- Part 1 - 12 min. 46 sec.
- Part 2 - 12 min. 59 sec.
- Part 3 - 12 min. 45 sec.
- Part 4 - 14 min. 14 sec
- Part 5 - 14 min. 51 sec
Session 4 Video is Available to View Online
Part 4 several topics:
- How does the Bible have authority
- Inspiration of scripture
- Thoughts on daily Bible reading
- Great Biblical books to read from the old and new testament
- Study helps
- Part 1 - 14 min. 30 sec.
- Part 2 - 12 min. 46 sec.
- Part 3 - 13 min. 36 sec.
- Part 4 - 14 min. 10 sec
- Part 5 - 9 min. 22 sec
- Part 6 - 6 min. 48 sec